A Registered Dietitian (RD) is a food and nutrition expert who translates the science of nutrition into practical solutions for healthy living. An RD is able to separate facts from fads and translate nutritional science into information that you can use. A dietitan can also put you on the path to weight management, eating healthfully, and reducing your risk of chronic disease.
Specifically, an RD is a food and nutrition expert who has met the following academic and professional requirements:
- Graduated from an accredited college or university with a minimum of a bachelor’s degree with course work approved by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics’ Commission on Accreditation for Dietetics Education. Coursework typically includes food and nutrition science, biochemistry, food service systems management, physiology, microbiology, communication, business, and economics.
- Completed a highly competitive, accredited, supervised internship.
- Passed a nationally accredited exam for registration administered by the Commission on Dietetic Registration.
- Maintains active registration and licensing by completing continuing education.
In addition, many dietitians have advanced degrees in different areas, and in the state of Texas, Registered Dietitians are also required to maintain licensing.
Many people wonder if a dietitian is the same thing as a nutritionist. You could say that all dietitians are nutritionists, however not all nutritionists are dietitians. Registered Dietitian is a legal credential with a nationally recognized exam and standards that must be met to take the exam and maintain registration. There are no specific requirements or recognized guidelines for credentials as a nutritionist. A dietitian’s education provides academic and practical emphasis on the science of both food and nutrition. This allows the dietitian to translate science-based messages that involve health needs, performance and wellness to more basic needs of what to eat, how to choose foods, and ways to enhance health through lifestyle choices.
Many people can benefit from seeing a dietitian. The following list provides a sample of different situations in which we can help.
- You or someone you care about struggles with disordered eating or an eating disorder. An RD, specifically an eating disorder specialist, can help with eating disorder recovery.
- You want to feel confident with your eating. An RD can help you sort through nutrition misinformation to create a healthy relationship with food.
- You want to learn to eat normally. An RD can help you discover normal eating that improves your health and well-being.
- You have diabetes, PCOS, cardiovascular problems, or high blood pressure. An RD is an integral part of your health care team by helping you change your eating patterns. Know that we are not going to focus on your weight, but on making behavior change that is consistent with improving your overall health.
- You are concerned about your weight. An RD can help improve your health and well-being to make lasting behavior change. Read more about our specific approach here.
- See a full list of concerns that we work with here.
A dietitian can assess your specific nutrition needs by analyzing your diet, health, and lifestyle factors to provide you with information to best fit your needs. A dietitian will help you to set goals and will help you with behavior modification and lifestyle changes to meet your selected goals. They will encourage you along the way and help you through the rough patches so that you can feel your very best.
Many people say they know they need to make changes to their diet, and might even know the changes they need to make. Sometimes actually choosing steps to make change can be the most difficult part of the entire process. However, a dietitian can help with this as well. Not only will a dietitian provide you with nutrition education, they can also provide you with nutrition counseling to help you with behavior modification to make changes in your nutrition and exercise choices.
There is no definite length of treatment for individual nutrition sessions. Amount and frequency of sessions will depend on your specific situation, how much you are trying to change, and on your achievement or confidence in reaching your desired goal.
Initial Consultations are approximately 90 minutes and cost $180.
All appointments begin with an initial consultation to review your medical, nutrition, and diet history to best provide you with individualized nutrition counseling and to formulate your nutrition goals.
Follow-up visits are approximately 45 minutes and cost $90.
Follow-up visits are scheduled based on your specific nutrition needs and are provided to assist you in the areas of nutrition, exercise, and behavior change that are consistent with your nutrition goals.
*A 20% discount is given to active duty military.
Absolutely! In addition to individual sessions, we also offer a series or group of appointments at a discounted rate. By purchasing more than one appointment at a time, you save money. Nutrition packages can be purchased in person or online. Our nutrition packages and bundled appointments are as follows:
- Nutrition Jump Start– $342.00 (10% Discount)
- One 90 minute Nutrition Assessment and two 45 minute Follow Up Appointments for a total of 3 appointments.
- Appointments can be spaced as desired, however we like to recommend an initial appointment followed by a 2 week follow up, then a one month follow up appointment.
- Purchase the Nutrition Jump Start Online by clicking here & schedule your first appointment today.
- Nutrition Care Package– $567.00 (10% Discount)
- One 90 minute Nutrition Assessment and five 45 minute Follow Up Appointments for a total of 6 appointments.
- This package can be used as a 3 month nutrition intensive with bi-weekly appointments, or spaced as desired.
- Purchase the Nutrition Care Package online by clicking here.
- Signature Nutrition Package– $994.50 (15% Discount)
- One 90 minute Nutrition Assessment and 11 Follow Up Appointments for a total of 12 appointments.
- This package can be scheduled as 6 months of bi-weekly appointments, one year of monthly appointments, or spaced as desired.
- Purchase the Signature Nutrition Package online by clicking here.
If you have already had a nutrition assessment, follow up appointments are available individually or in groups of 5, 10, or 25 appointments. Again, the more purchased, the greater the discount.
- 5 Follow Up Appointments– $428.00 (5% Discount)
- 10 Follow Up Appintments– $810.00 (10% Discount)
- 25 Follow Up Appointments– $1,530.00 (15% Discount)
Purchase a group of bundled follow up appointments online by clicking here.
*Please note, packages are non-refundable, non-transferrable, and expire 1 year from the date of purchase. With prior written approval, packages can be shared among family members who live in the same household.
Need more time to think about it? Download our price sheet here.
At this time we do not accept payment through insurance coverage, medicare, or medicaid. However, we will provide you with the proper documentation to assist you in reimbursement from your insurance provider. Please check with your specific provider prior to your appointment to determine if nutrition counseling is covered on your plan.
Many of our patients have had tremendous success with reimbursement. If you are interested in reimbursement, it is helpful to have a referral from a physician. You can download our physican referral form here, take it to your physician, and request a referral to us directly for your nutrition concern.
Insurance is changing and many policies will reimburse for services. Some policies will even give you a credit just for visiting with a registered dietitian! If you are not familiar with your policy, I recommend calling the number on the back of your insurance card to discover your benefits related to nutrition counseling or medical nutrition therapy.
No, you do not need a referral to see a registered dietitian at My Signature Nutrition. Some states do require patients to have a referral to see a dietitian, however Texas is not one of those states. You can can, email, or click here to schedule an appointment with us right now!
If you are planning on submitting your receipt for insurance reimbursement, it can be helpful to have a referral from a physician or other practitioner. It is best to check with your insurance provider to find out their policy. If you do need a referral, you can download our physician referral form here, take it to your physician, and request a referral to us directly for your nutrition concern. Keep in mind, a referral is helpful, how it is not required to schedule an appointment.
My Signature Nutrition, LLC is currently located in Tyler, Texas. Many individuals in the East Texas area drive to Tyler for nutrition services from My Signature Nutrition, including the following areas: Whitehouse, Bullard, Flint, Jacksonville, Rusk, Van, Arp, Troup, Henderson, Carthage, Kilgore, Longview, Gladewater, Gilmer, Marshall, Mt. Pleasant, Greenville, Emory, Quitman, Winnsboro, Mineola, Lindale, Canton, Athens, Palestine, and Frankston.
If you are interested in nutrition counseling and not located in this area, you can still receive nutrition services from My Signature Nutrition, LLC via skype video chat or by phone.